Respect is something that should never be given unless it is earned. As a teenager I respected none of my teachers unless they somehow earned it. In the Navy the officers I respected had all done something to warrant respect. I haven’t a clue how someone earns your respect but for me the rules are pretty simple and basic. Want my respect? Then come close to meeting the things on this list:
- Love all creatures.
- Don’t hurt things.
- Remain tolerant of others. Live your life and allow them theirs.
- Don’t hate.
- Don’t be dogmatic.
- Don’t choose to remain ignorant.
- Don’t make up your own facts.
- Your opinion isn’t worth shit if sound concrete evidence won’t support it.
- You surrender your right to be heard if you don’t vote. So STFU.
- If you don’t like the community you live in either help make it better, STFU, or move.
- Most of what’s wrong in your life is your fault so get off your ass and work on fixing things up.
- And for the moment, at least….don’t permit Donald Trump to mouth another freaking complaint about anyone or anything until he has released his tax records.
Failing any of the above you may want to take a refresher course in Kindergarten rules 101.